BUN BREAD Makes 12
- 2 + 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 236ml 1 Cup Milk, Tepid
- 112g 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 86g 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temp.
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 500g 4 Cups Plain/All-Purpose Flour
- Stir yeast into tepid milk in mixer bowl. Allow to activate and foam up for 5 minutes.
- **If you use fresh yeast, or active dry yeast they both require the step for activating in tepid liquid until frothy. If using instant dried yeast, you can skip this step and add it directly to the dried ingredients.
- Add the sugar, butter, salt, eggs and flour to the bowl.
- Use dough hook or by hand, knead until well incorporated.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and allow to proof till double in size in a warm place.
- Roll out the dough till 16 x 12″ rectangle in size, 1/4″ thick.
- Slightly warm the caramel till spreadable consistency and spread over the dough evenly.
- Sprinkle over the fine apple pieces.
- Gently roll from one of the long sides to the other. Using sharp knife or floss method to slice into 1 + 1/2″ thick slices.
- Place into muffin pans and cover with damp towel or cling wrap for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- You can also make this ahead of time and allow to prove in the fridge for an entire day – it will be easier to work with and you won’t have to rush with making everything all at once.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just slightly golden in colour.
CARAMEL APPLE FILLING
- 250g (Cup) Caster Sugar
- 95ml (7 + 1/2 Tablespoons) Water
- 86ml (Cup) Thickened Cream
- 65g (Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter
- 2 Large or 3-4 Small Red, Firm Apples, Diced into 1/2cm Cubes
- Pink/Sea Salt, Optional
- Over medium-high heat, cook the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan without stirring.
- Once the sugar dissolves and mixture turns a dark amber color, add the cream. * Be careful as the mixture will bubble and spit a little.
- Swirl and stir it until it subsides, about 30 seconds – remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter & salt.
- For the apples, peel & cut into quarters around the middle core. Cut into sugar cube or smaller sized pieces roughly.