YOGURT & CARDAMOM PLUM CAKE
**Makes 2 x 20cm (8″) Round Pan Cakes
- 200g (4/5 Cup, Heaped) Plain or Flavored Greek Yogurt
- 3 Large Eggs, Room Temp.
- 162ml (1/2 Cup) Plum Puree
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cardamom
- 150g (2/3 Cup) Caster Sugar
- 75g (1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon) Dark Brown Sugar
- 180g (1 + 1/2 Cup) Plain/All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 600ml (2 + 1/2 Cups) Thickened/Heavy Cream
- For the plum puree, I actually cut and removed the stone of the plums first. I gently cooked them a little over the stove in a small saucepan just until some juices were released and it became relatively soft.
- At this point I then went on to puree them in a processor until smooth. I think that might give you some more volume and flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease & line the base of two 20cm (8″) pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the yogurt, plum puree and eggs until smoothly combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two pans.
- Rap (tap on counter) the pans twice each to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, testing with a skewer to see if it comes out clean when the cake is risen and no longer wobbling.
- Firmly rap the pans once each to prevent shrinking, cool on a wire rack until cool.
- Turn out cake and flip back upright.
- Now it is up to you if you like to pipe whipped cream onto them individually in slices or as a whole cake.
- Whip the cream until it is just stiff, it should start to leave grooves as it whisks. It will just begin to leave some cream gathered in the whisk. Make sure you don’t over whip it when it becomes a bit yellow in colour and no longer looks smooth.
- You can lightly swirl in a few spoonfuls of the plum puree to have a light swirl effect.
- I used a medium sized star piping tip, starting from one end I did a sideways infinite 8 motion overlapping every middle section a little for more texture.
- **Check out the video for a demonstration on how it’s done.
- Keep them chilled and airtight when not serving. They are great even without any topping, you can simply dust with some icing sugar or even just have some plum puree on the side to dunk it in…MMM!